Managing an office is no simple task. In order to run at maximum efficiency, there are a wide variety of things that you need to consider. From buying the right office furniture and keeping it stocked with supplies, to providing a well-optimized environment that offers your employees a comfortable yet stimulating place to work – one thing is for certain: office managers have their hands full!
Aside from all of the other—equally vital—aspects of running an office, keeping it clean and organized is up there. So, how do you go about it? And is it that important? What are the benefits of staying on top of it? Is it worth setting up an office cleaning checklist? If so, how?
In this article, we’re going to tell you everything you need to know. If you are looking for ideas and inspiration, you’ve come to the right place.
How do you keep your office clean and organized?
So, first of all, how do you keep your office clean and organized? The best place to start is by laying down some ground rules. You need to communicate clearly with your employees and make sure that they are dedicated to keeping their space clean as well.
This isn’t always easy to do, but you can start by putting some penalties in place to repeat offenders. For example: cleaning the kitchen after use. If certain individuals are continually making a mess in the break area and refusing to tidy up after themselves, there have to be some repercussions. Sure, you can’t be too harsh, but unless everyone respects your office space, keeping it clean and organized will become a towering impossibility.
So, how do you go about getting people to respect the office space? Remodelling a commercial building is a brilliant place to start. By investing in an office renovation and creating a beautiful space that your employees can be proud of, encouraging them to look after it and keep it in good condition becomes significantly easier.
You should also fit every individual workspace with a bin/trash can. That way, finding somewhere to dispose of trash will not be difficult for your employees.
As for organization, have one very clear stationary/supplies area where spares goods can be kept tucked out of the way, though within reach. You must also fit every workspace with office organizational items as well, such as paper trays, towers, and dividers.
The most effective way to stay on top of your cleanliness and organization, however, is to hire a professional office cleaning service.
Why choose a professional office cleaning service?
So, why choose a professional office cleaning service? Is it really worth it?
The shower answer is yes! Having a professional cleaning service (at least twice a week – depending on the size of your office and number of employees), is entirely worthwhile. Here’s why:
- Eliminate extra tasks for employees and keep them on the ball: while you can create a shared office cleaning checklist if you wish to avoid hiring professionals, keeping your employees focused on their duties is a far more effective use of their time.
- No hazardous materials: cleaning companies bring their own cleaning products and chemicals with them, saving you the need to store and look after such chemicals yourself. No more hazardous materials!
- Never worry about a dirty environment again: when your office space is cleaned thoroughly, and regularly, you’ll never have to worry about coming into a dirty office ever again.
- Productivity increases: the science is evident and there’s no denying the fact that employees who work in clean and clutter-free environments are far more productive! Not only that, but a number of your employees may be very particular about being in a safe, clean, and germ-free environment, so it’s good to accommodate them.
- Saves you time: when hiring professionals, it’s one less thing for you to worry about. You will never need to dedicate any more of your brain power toward keeping your office clean and tidy, ever again.
- Employee health: particularly in a post-COVID world, keeping your office clean, germ-free, and efficiently sanitised is important. The same applies to dust and other allergenic nasties that can spread without regular and thorough cleaning.
- Make a great first impression: whether it’s a new candidate coming in to interview or a prospective client, keeping your office in pristine condition is an absolute must!
- They’ll do it better than you can: let’s be perfectly honest, you and every one of your employees could team up for an hour of cleaning, and we can almost guarantee that one single professional commercial office cleaner would likely do a far superior job. That’s not a slight towards you and your staff, but a simple case of delegating tasks to those who have the relevant expertise. It’s the same reason why you’d hire an accountant to take care of the books.
- Keep the pests at bay: having a professional cleaner stay on top of your office will ensure that you will never have to worry about having a pest problem. The fact is, that commercial pest control is best avoided with proper cleaning and prevention. Failing to stay on top of your office cleaning may attract pests, thus forcing you to shut down your office while you have said pests effectively removed.
How do you set up an office cleaning checklist?
If you’ve read the above benefits and still feel like you’d like to keep your cleaning in-house, then we would recommend setting up an office cleaning checklist.
Bear in mind that hiring a professional cleaner eliminates the need to do this, as they will have a checklist of their own. However, if you’re keeping it to you and your staff to handle, here’s what you should consider:
- Computer screens and keyboards
- Recycling paper and emptying trash cans
- Vacuuming (including under desks)
- Cleaning windows inside and out
- Disinfecting all surfaces
- Dusting shelves and other surfaces
- Discarding food wrappers/waste food appropriately
- Cleaning fridge and microwave (including any other appliances)
- Clean reception area
- Organise books and magazines
These are just a handful of the duties you will need to consider as part of your office cleaning checklist. You will also need to set the frequency at which each item needs to be ticked off. For example: cleaning windows isn’t necessarily something that needs doing each day, however, a professional office cleaner from a reputable company such as Enjoy Life Office Cleaning Agency likely will.
The same applies to clearing out and cleaning the fridge – including all other kitchen appliances. This may be done on a weekly basis – or after each use, depending on the level of cleanliness your employees have.